I cannot describe to you the struggle this has been for me. Simonne isn't a fan of writing so anything that is done sitting at a table (maybe except painting) is seen as a chore. She has a phonics workbook that has been like torture, and a math workbook that I am on the verge of throwing out (except maybe Zachary might...). Do I force the issue to teach discipline and increase the torture? Do I bribe them with computer time to get writing done? Do I hope to access their motivations and tie them into writing? On good days, I'm calm, no need to force the issue, I say. Don't we create motivating games in
Jaedon's program that tie in his educational goals? "I can do that for the typical children!", I say, to encourage myself, then
promptly sit and do nothing but worry.
Well, I have no idea what happened today! No, that's not true, I was just surprised at what happened. Zachary has a coloring
fetish and will do anything in a workbook. His fine motor is exceptional for his age and writing is fun
for him. He's just not required to do 'table work', he's 4! Anyway, he got a new book with some activities for drawing, pictures to look at and discuss with someone. When I sat with him to talk about his book, Simonne announced she wanted to do a workbook! I
hurried to get her one, and she worked
easily through 3 pages, the entire section on l-blends! (on the inside, my jaw is dropped). Zach moves on, she loses motivation,

we argue about finishing what we start, I threaten, etc. Later that evening, Zach picks up his book again, she also picks up hers. She does 2 more pages - starting r-blends! A month's worth of workbook pages in a day!
There's Simonne in the picture proudly displaying the sentence she made up with l-blend words.
So now I just have to keep Zach motivated.... there I go again? Why do I feel it is my job to motivate?
No comments:
Post a Comment